It was my birthday! I got a refrigerator I can’t use! Also, there’s music!!!
Damn, this is a gorgeous album. Scott Cook’s voice -- vocally and lyrically -- is as clear-eyed, optimistic, and straightforward as ever. I lost track of Cook for a while but he’s produced some of my favorite music that I’ve reviewed in 9 years of Adobe & Teardrops. Tangle of Souls is the medicine we could all use right now. As much as I enjoy the wave of experimentalism in Americana lately, at the end of the day you need great lyrics and a guitar and that’s what Cook does best.
- Jenny O. -- “God Knows Why” (New Truth)
- Wild Earp -- “Don’t Play the Waltz at the California Clipper” (Single)
- The Slow Blade -- “Death Letter” (Remain)
- Severed Fingers -- “Hospital Beds” (Trust No One)
- The Cry -- “Everything and Nothing” (Beautiful Reasons)
- Bridget Dowling -- “Back to Her” (Single)
- Crystal Shawanda -- “When it Comes to Love” (Church House Blues)
- Lyn Avenue -- “Sophisticated” (Sophisticated)
- Jessye DeSilva -- “Missouri” (Quarantine Sessions)